Sign
Metro Historical Commission Foundation

MHCF’s mission is to raise funds for, engage in, and support the activities of Metro Historical Commission.

Metro Historical Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization established in 2012.

Contact

615/862-7970
615/862-7974 FAX
3000 Granny White Pike
Nashville, Tennessee 37204

 

Board Members

Ann Eaden, President
Joan Armour
Carter Baker
Michael Emrick
Cindee Gold
Janet Kurtz
Jill Meese
Reavis Mitchell
Liz Parrott
Mary Ellen Pethel
Ann Roberts
Laura Rost
Steve Sirls
Phil Thomason
Lea Williams Tim Walker, Ex-officio

MHCF Board

Board members include, front row, President Ann Eaden, Joan Armour, Ann Roberts, and, back row, Michael Emrick, Laura Rost, Steve Sirls, and Tim Walker, ex officio.

Metro Historical Commission

MHC works to document history, save and reuse buildings, and make the public more aware of the necessity and advantages of preservation in Nashville and Davidson County. Created in 1966, the commission consists of fifteen citizens appointed by the mayor. MORE

Metro Historic Zoning Commission

MHZC reviews applications to create new historic overlay districts, and reviews and approves preservation permits in historic and conservation districts for new construction, alterations, additions, repair and demolition. It has nine members appointed by the mayor. MORE

Sunnyside

Headquarters

The offices of the two Commissions are housed in Sunnyside, located in Sevier Park south of downtown.

Sunnyside, built in 1852 by Mary Childress Benton, got its name when her great-niece, Mary Douglass, came to live with Benton and named the home after its bright, open hillside location.

The home had different owners until 1927 when it was bought by Granville Sevier, whose mother Mary Douglass Sevier had named the place 75 years earlier. He renovated the house and brought his mother back to the home she had christened Sunnyside.

His heirs sold the house and surrounding land to the city of Nashville after his death in 1945.